Have a project in mind but out of paint? Save yourself from curiosity and a trip to the store with these super fun playful paint recipes to make homemade paint at home or in the classroom.
There are so many fabulous homemade paint recipes for exploration. We have compiled a list of our top playful paint recipes for you and your kids to try. Some of these easy paint recipes are even edible so whip up a batch and your littlest ones can craft with you.
These colorful recipes will liven up your afternoon. We also love that because you control the paint ingredients, you can avoid toxin use and make safe paint.
Related: Pssst…want no mess finger painting? <–We have a secret
Post it on your social media to cheer everyone up!
Easy Homemade Paint Recipes for Kids
1. Kool-Aid Sand Paint Recipe
Kids will love creating open-ended art projects with this Kool-Aid sand paint recipe from Learn Play Imagine! We love how it stimulates sight, touch, and smell with the coolest consistency and texture. Kids will love to do this in your backyard!
2. How to Make Scented Sidewalk Chalk Recipe
Get little kids into the summer spirit and take the mess outside with this fun scented sidewalk chalk paint recipe from Parenting Chaos! You won’t believe how simple this is to make even on the driveway!
3. Vibrant Liquid Homemade Watercolor Paint You Can Make
Encourage creativity and recycling with these vibrant liquid watercolor stain ideas from Happy Hooligans! Kids will be delighted to know and learn new skills too!
Related: How to make watercolor paint a different way
4. Homemade Finger Paint
Short on paint? No worries! This simple homemade finger paint recipe from Tinklerlab is made from everyday home items and doubles as a super fun science experiment. Have them lined up in small bowls and get ready for that canvas!
5. DIY Washable Window Paints
Wish your home cake with stained glass windows? Now it can! Create and stir these washable window paints out of dish soap from the Imagination Tree and let your little artist whisk you a mess-free masterpiece!
6. Homemade Puffy Paint Recipe
Curious about which puffy paint recipe works best? Then make sure to check out these four food colors recipes from Meaningful Mama and see if your family’s results are the same!
7. All-Natural Finger Paint Recipes
Are you in need of an allergen-free solution? This all-natural (no dye) finger paint recipe from Fun at Home with Kids is free of the most common allergens! You can mix and match for your desired color. Perfect for babies and young toddlers!
8. Textured Finger Paint Recipes
Sensory play is a great way to get your children to explore the world around them and is a vital part of language development. Take your sensory play and quality time to the next level with these texture finger paints from Parenting Chaos!.
9. DIY Colorful Bubble Bath Paints
Make bath time a blast and much fun with these simple bubble bath washable paint recipes from Simple Fun for Kids! Being in the bathtub has never been as fun as when you take the DIY paints!
Related: This easy bathtub paint recipe is fun and easy to make
10. Edible Paint Recipe: Baby Finger Paint for Toddlers
Have a little one who’s is ready for food? Make mealtime a chance for some creative learning with these edible paints finger food ideas from Munchkins and Moms! Have fun with the mixture and ingredients!
11. DIY Scratch and Sniff Paints
We adore everything scratch and sniff and these scratch and sniff paints are no exception. This vibrant paint recipe by Kids Activities Blog is bound to bring your child’s creations to life!
12. Lovely Skittles Paint Recipe
Candy lovers unite! Just make sure you don’t eat all your Skittles before making this stunningly beautiful (and great smelling) Skittles paint recipe from Mama Papa Bubba!
13. Starburst Paint Recipe
Starburst paint is another fantastic paint that is perfect for the sweetie in your life! Learn how to make this paint in the recipe from Learn Play Imagine!
14. Make Your Own Yummy Jello Pudding Paint
This Jello pudding paint from Craftulate is the perfect excuse to play with your food!
15. Bubble Bath Spray Paint Recipe
Make bath time extra colorful with this wonderful bubble bath spray paint recipe from Mama Papa Bubba!
16. DIY Glitter Glue Paints
Sparkly, vibrant colors that just beg to be created with. These simple glitter glue paints by Mama Papa Bubba are perfect for creating fun collages and are even super fun on their own!
17. Cool Ice Paints Recipe
Mix science and art with these brilliant ice paint ideas from Messy Little Monster! Kids will love exploring temperatures, textures, and consistencies while creating their masterpieces!
18. Rainbow Fingerpaint Recipe
This taste-safe rainbow fingerpaint recipe from Fireflies and Mudpies is the perfect boredom-busting solution that is easy on the pocketbook.
19. How to Paint with Milk!
Children will have a blast with making abstract creations while observing chemical reactions through painting with milk. Art and science meet in this fun art activity by Babble Dabble Do!
20. Edible Toast Paint Recipe
Edible toast paint is a lively way to brighten your mornings, like this one from In the Playroom!
21. Recycled Paint Recipe for Kids
You simply won’t believe what these easily recycled paints from Tiny Tot Adventures are made of. As an added bonus, they will leave your hands feeling silky!
22. Ice Crystal Paint Recipe
We are in love with these shimmering creations! This sparkly ice crystal paint recipe from Fireflies and Mudpies is bound to melt your young Monet’s heart, too!
23. DIY Glittery Puffy Paint Recipe
Take your puffy paint creations to the next level with this super easy DIY glitter puffy paint recipe from Frogs, Snails, and Puppy Dog Tails!
24. DIY Erupting Paints Experiment
Paint that explodes?! How fun is that! Kids will be amazed by this simple experiment of erupting baking soda paints by Learn Play Imagine!
25. Edible Fruit Paint
Edible fruit paint is a delicious solution to get younger kids creating without the worry of them eating their paints. Try this colorfully yummy recipe from Hands On as We Grow!
More Colorful and Playful Paint Recipes To Try from Play Ideas!
- Explore this Cactus Garden and learn how to make colorful paints from the plants.
- Try these fun rock painting ideas the entire family will love.
- Kids can make their own butterfly painting with these fun ways to use your homemade paint!
- Articles with instructions for making yellow arts and crafts for preschoolers and fun paint recipes.
- Rainbow crafts and paint recipes for kids to make and play with. Includes glitter glue, soda bottle painting, and paper-mache.
- Paint with the perfect purple to suit your creative mood. Discover how to create purple paint from natural elements and flower petals.
- Need an idea to keep your loved ones busy this holiday season? Just look for the Groovy Green Crafts and Paint Recipes.
- What can you do with Puff Paint? It’s almost anything! Find a Puff Paint Projects and Recipes here!
Which colorful and playful paint recipe are you experimenting with your kiddos today?