DIY pop-up cards make unique gifts that can be enjoyed by all ages. They are a wonderful way to add some fun and creativity to your greeting. Plus, they can also be used to make seasonal decorations and other crafts.
If you are looking for a special way to give someone an extra gift, or want to create a fun way to celebrate the holidays with your children at home, then look no further than this article.
You don’t need to buy expensive equipment and fancy paper to make awesome DIY pop-up cards. You do need the right tools and paper to achieve your goal. Here are some of the basic things you’ll need for a good pop-up:
- Cutting mat: A cutting board is perfect for protecting your blades.
- Scalpel knife: Find one that’s comfortable to use and easy to control.
- Scoring tool: An embossing stylus is easier to handle and comes with a fine tip.
- Stainless-steel ruler: Choose one with a non-slip base that does not dent easily.
- White glue: Opt for one with a dispenser that does not easily get blocked.
- Colored paper: Examine the texture and weight, and make sure they’re easy to cut.
- Markers and glitter: These are optional, but they make creating pop-ups more fun!
To create a pop-up pyramid with a V-fold and floating back, here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Glue the first tab to the diagonal area on the opposite flap.
- Push the valley fold inward to flatten the pyramid.
- Fold your card stock in half and put some glue on the second tab.
- Place the scalloped edge of the tab along the card’s fold.
- With the third tab facing up, apply some glue to it.
- Fold your card onto the glued tab.
- Open your card to see the pyramid pop up.
To make a slide pop-up card that moves and stands at the same time, follow these steps:
- Create a pop-up back of your choice.
- Add a sliding wrap at the bottom.
- Add a pop-up front along the score line.
- Attach the pop-up mechanism.
- Fold the front and back parts of the mechanism.
- Apply tape to one end and align the card base to the bottom.
- Slide the card base out and punch through the pop-up back.
- Glue the pop-up mechanism and slide the wrap onto the card base.
- When you pull on the base, you’ll see the image pop up.
This pop-up card with stacked boxes reveal tiny gifts inside your card, and here’s how to make one:
- Fold a blank sheet of paper in half.
- On the folded side, draw three boxes stacked on top of each other.
- Cut and fold along the lines, taking great care not to rip the boxes.
- Pinch the boxes out toward you, then close the card.
- Decorate the boxes and the other parts of the card.
- Fold a bigger piece of colored paper to use as a base.
Here’s how to make an accordion pop-up card that’s great for just about any occasion:
- Cut a shoebox cover into two.
- Cut three pages from a magazine into a square.
- Fold the square in half, open it up, and turn it clockwise
- Fold the square in half again, then open it up.
- Fold the square diagonally to form another triangle.
- Do the same for all three squares, aligning them next to each other.
- Make sure the papers are alternating face down and face up.
- Stick the three squares together, overlapping one-quarter of each.
- You now have an accordion!
This pop-up card with an envelope starts out tiny and expands to create a big impression. To create one, follow the steps below:
- Draw the top half of a circle on a piece of paper.
- Create divisions for every letter or character.
- Use a different color and unique design for each portion.
- Score along the lines to mark where you’re supposed to fold.
- Draw a half rectangle below that connects to the half-circle.
- Cut, fold, and place your expanding DIY pop-up card inside an envelope.
To make this pop-up box burst out with cool pictures and special messages, follow these steps:
- Mark your card stock with the corresponding measurements.
- Cut your pieces accordingly using the marks as your guide.
- Fold the center part accordion-style to create a pop-up triangle.
- Punch a hole into the center, thread the string, and tie it securely.
- Assemble everything into a box and start decorating your explosion card.
A pop-up greeting card is a great way to make your message stand out. Here are the steps to create one:
- Fold your first piece of paper in half.
- Cut some slits at the center to create tabs.
- Open the card, folding the tabs inward.
- Print some images or draw on your pop-up.
- Cut your art pieces and glue them to each tab.
- Fold your second piece of paper in half.
- Glue the first and second pieces together.
- Write a fun message and put your finishing touches.
A pop-up card with a greeting window uses a basic frame that swaps out the center design for something else. Here’s how to make one:
- Create your chosen center design.
- Draw the pop-up card frame.
- Make a rectangular-shaped outline.
- Set the perforated horizontal lines.
- Cut along the lines, then fold the card.
This pop-up card with a hanger is a perfect way to reveal a sweet message and meaningful objects. Follow the steps here:
- Fold two pieces of craft paper in half, with one bigger than the other.
- Stick some adhesive tape along the sides of the smaller card.
- Cut two strips of paper and fold them with four sides.
- Glue the two strips of paper onto the smaller card.
- Create banners for each letter in your message.
- Glue the separate banners to a piece of string.
- Do the same for cut-out hearts or your shape of choice.
- Hang the two strings on both sides of the two strips.
We hope you’ll enjoy making these nine different DIY pop-up cards for special occasions. They’re a great way to add a personal touch to your greeting card. Plus, they make your messages more fun, interesting, and vivid for your loved one. For your next craft session, check out our website to find new ideas on nifty DIY projects!